Houses and Inns were also to be found as one approached Shrewsbury from the English bridge ( then called Stone Bridge ) & Welsh bridge, with Frankwell dating back to the 11th century.
After the Norman conquest, Mercia (which included Shrewsbury) was controlled by the English Earl Edwin, but he joined a revolt against the Normans and he was dispossessed, but the revolt lead some townsfolk, English rebels and Welshmen to attack the castle but they failed to take it and after the Normans had devastated the country, Shrewsbury was ‘given’ to Roger de Montgomery who was created Earl of Shrewsbury.
Shrewsbury had a number of Norman Earls but when this ended, Shrewsbury was placed under a royal steward and received its first charter under Henry 1st who visited the town in 1126 and gave it to his second wife, Adeliza who then appointed William FitzAlan as her deputy. Henry 2nd also visited Shrewsbury in 1158 and halved the taxation level imposed by Roger de Montgomery. Then in 1189, in the reign of Richard 1st, Shrewsbury received its oldest surviving charter ( see below )in which the burgesses held the town in return for paying the king 40 marks of silver each year.